Mechanics is the branch of physics which deals with the study of motion. This section introduces the scientific method, physical measurements, significant figures and units, which transcends the entire syllabus.
On completion of this Section, students should:
- understand the importance of measurement and graphical representation of data;
- appreciate the difference between scalar and vector quantities;
- be familiar with the various effects of forces;
- appreciate the universal applicability of the laws of dynamics and the conservation of momentum;
- understand the significance of the concept of energy;
- be aware of the application of hydrostatics in everyday life.